PART TIME LIBRARY ASSISTANT – COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
$11.99 – $17.90/hour depending on qualifications
Open until filled. EOE
Works under the general supervision of the Community Engagement Librarian to assist with the coordination and implementation of community engagement services. The position shall also be responsible for providing customer service functions including check-out, check-in, renewals, collection of fines, borrower registration, updates of online patron records, cash handling, and enforcement of policies. This position is designed to focus on community engagement and library room scheduling, while providing circulation support, with the possibility of additional assignments.
Questions: Please email to Becca Lael: firstname.lastname@example.org
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES:
- Front desk customer service and performance of operational functions necessary for circulation of the Library’s collection such as check-out, check-in, renewals, collection of fines, dispensing of library cards, updates of on-line patron records, enforcement of policies.
- Provides internal and external customer service that exceeds expectations. This includes serving at the Circulation Desk as assigned, greeting the public, passing on knowledge about Park City community information and local history.
- Uses a working knowledge of the library software, accurately perform a wide variety of circulation procedures.
- Greets the public, informs visitors about the community, directs people to the appropriate section of the library for materials, special services and events.
- Instructs visitors and prospective patrons on the procedures necessary for obtaining a library card.
- Identifies which type of library card a patron qualifies for and registering them.
- Offers guidance about the collection, including performance of on-line searches to locate specifically requested items. Must have knowledge of system vocabularies, indexes and shelving schema.
- Answers basic “ready reference” questions, both for in-person queries and by telephone using a combination of the Library’s print resources, on-line reference database, and Internet searches.
- Provides instruction on the use of the library’s technological resources.
- Accurately processes financial transactions involving collection of room reservation invoices, fines, fees, and miscellaneous charges.
- Provides assistance to the public in the location and use of library materials and library resources.
- Performs all actions necessary to open and close the library and secure the premises.
- Distributes incoming mail, recording receipt of magazines and newspaper and updating magazine and newspaper displays, and shelving print materials as necessary.
- Accesses reference sources in both print and electronic formats and the ability to create documents.
- Other duties as assigned or directed.
- Supports the scheduling and management of library rooms; works on projects as assigned by the Community Engagement Librarian for large event bookings, procurement, and planning.
- Assists with library marketing: advertising, graphic design, media relations, social media, newsletter, website, etc.
- Provides support for the collection of library usage statistics; assists with the creation and maintenance of the library statistics dashboard. Assists in the preparation of community engagement reports for the Director and Library Board.
- Assists with coordinating and providing outreach services and working with other community organizations. Assists in staffing the library’s outreach presence at specialty community events.
- Assist in managing rotating art exhibits within the library, including implementation or oversight of jurying, curating, and/or contracting with artists under the direction of the Community Engagement Librarian.
- Aids with collection development duties, as needed.
- Provides support for library programing, as needed.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or three years library and customer service experience.
- English language vocabulary and grammatical skills.
- Strong customer services skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbally.
- Basic computer skills, including word processing and internet.
- Ability to learn new software and equipment.
- Experience with library software.
- Experience promoting library services and programs.
- Previous experience working in outreach, marketing, graphic design, social media, and/or scheduling.
- Previous experience with customer service.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other divisions, and the public.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Experience with Windows 7, Microsoft Office.
- On-line search strategies for the Internet and a variety of subscription databases.
- Comprehends, uses, and applies current technology in a public library setting.
- Ability to resolve conflicts.
- Ability to problem-solve, assist with library searches, and trouble-shoot general computer usage problems.