Part Time Library Assistants: Circulation & Cataloging
$11.99 – $17.90 Hourly
Open until filled. EOE
The Park City Library is seeking two separate Library Assistant positions for the following:
The library assistant works under the general supervision of the Circulation Team Leader providing customer service functions including check-out, check-in, renewals, collection of fines, borrower registration, updates of on-line patron records, cash handling and enforcement of policies. This position is designed to provide support for the circulation department and focus on circulation duties, with the possibility of additional assignments
For questions on above position contact Chris: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cataloging/Inter-Library Loan Assistant
The library assistant works under the general supervision of the Cataloging Librarian providing customer service functions including check-out, check-in, renewals, collection of fines, borrower registration, updates of on-line patron records, cash handling and enforcement of policies. This position is designed to provide support for the circulation department, and focus on cataloging/inter-library loan with the possibility of additional assignments.
For questions on above position contact Angela: email@example.com
Examples of Job Duties
Front desk customer service and performance of operational functions necessary for circulation of the Library’s collection such as check-out, check-in, renewals, collection of fines, dispensing of library cards, updates of on-line patron records, enforcement of policies.
Provides internal and external customer service that exceeds expectations. This includes serving at the Circulation Desk as assigned, greeting the public, passing on knowledge about Park City community information and local history.
Using a working knowledge of the library software, accurately perform a wide variety of circulation procedures.
Greeting the public, informing visitors about the community, directing people to the appropriate section of the library for materials, special services and events.
Instructing visitors and prospective patrons on the procedures necessary for obtaining a library card.
Identifying which type of library card a patron qualifies for and registering them.
Offering guidance about the collection, including performance of on-line searches to locate specifically requested items. Must have knowledge of system vocabularies, indexes and shelving schema.
Answering basic “ready reference” questions, both for in-person queries and by telephone using a combination of the Library’s print resources, on-line reference database, and Internet searches.
Providing instruction on the use of the library’s technological resources.
Responding to requests for specific services, such as Interlibrary Loan and Reserves.
Accurately processing financial transactions involving collection of fines, fees, and miscellaneous charges.
Provide assistance to the public in the location and use of library materials and library resources.
Performing all actions necessary to open and close the library and secure the premises.
Distributing incoming mail, recording receipt of magazines and newspaper and updating magazine and newspaper displays, and shelving print materials as necessary.
Access reference sources in both print and electronic formats and the ability to create documents.
Assists the cataloging librarian with cataloging and inter library loan duties.
Shelving returned items to proper shelf location as needed
Other duties as assigned or directed.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or three years library and customer service experience.
- English language vocabulary and grammatical skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbally.
- Basic computer skills, including word processing and internet.
- Strong customer services skills.
- Ability to learn new software and equipment
- The ability to problem-solve search failures and general computer usage problems.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Must pass background check
- Ability to speak and/or write in Spanish.
- Experience with library software.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other divisions, and the public.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Experience with Windows 7, Microsoft Office.
- On-line search strategies for the Internet and a variety of subscription databases.
- Comprehends, uses, and applies current technology in a public library setting.
- Ability to resolve conflicts.